Last week Skype released Skype 5.11 for Windows – beta and Skype 5.11 for Mac – beta. And the key word here is “beta”. But it starts to give a picture of how Microsoft intends to integrate Skype into its offerings, especially as Microsoft approaches the launch later this year of Windows 8, Office 2013 […]
Archive | Skype News RSS feed for this section
As discussed in the “Skype’s Core Applications” section of Experience Skype to the Max, one of Skype’s unique technologies has been its royalty-free SILK audio codec that provides crystal clear audio on Skype-to-Skype voice and video calls. However, Skype also submitted SILK to the IETF to request its addition to IETF standards as one element […]
Nine years ago today, with the necessary pieces of the Internet infrastructure in place, Skype launched as a Windows software application supporting free Skype-to-Skype voice and instant messaging conversations between Windows PC’s. Within a month there had been over 500,000 downloads. This slide from a Skype presentation in 2008 sums up the situation at its […]
Yesterday Skype announced the availability of Skype for iOS 4.1, an upgrade that introduces photo sharing as well as longer iPhone/iPad battery life when running Skype. This of course triggered some “deep thinking” as to why Skype took so long to include photo sharing as well as why it was not available on Skype for […]
One of the most frequent questions I have encountered recently relates to using Skype File Transfer in a Group Chat. One came recently from an acquaintance whom I was advising on using Group Chat for his business team comprising eight colleagues. In particular, the questions are based around why a File Transfer works for some […]
Two weeks ago Skype released Skype 5.8 for Mac whose main feature was restoration of the Contacts window such that users could occupy minimum desktop real estate while maintaining ready access to their Skype contacts. In mid-April Skype released Skype 5.7 for Mac on the day I went into hospital for a critical procedure. It […]
Earlier this week Skype released Skype 5.10 for Windows with useful tweaks to how Contacts are displayed and managed and how screen sharing is handled. With respect to managing Contacts: You can select and “pin” your Favorite (or most frequent) Contacts to the top of the Contacts pane. Both Facebook and Skype Contacts are combined […]
Around 2 p.m. Eastern Daylight Saving Time today (March 11, 2012), Skype Users Online went over 36 million for the first time. It’s not simply a matter of crossing this line but more a question of why the rapid growth of Users Online over the past two weeks. Update Monday, Mar. 12: At approximately 12:45 […]
Coinciding with today’s opening of the annual Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Skype has announced the availability of Skype for Windows Phone beta. Not surprisingly, it’s the first Skype offering to arise out of the Microsoft acquisition of Skype. It features both voice and video calling as well as some nifty integration into the WIndows […]
TelyHD not only sets a new low price point for implementing Skype for TV; it offers excellent quality call performance and, with its Android foundation, has the potential to become a major platform for other TV-appropriate applications. As mentioned in my review of Skype for TV at CES 2012, Tely Labs was giving the first […]
Get Email Updates (It’s Free!)
Skype Reference Guide
- Skype Features
- Case Studies
- Skype In Business
- Skype for Business
- Hosted Services
- BlackBerry KEYone – An Security Enhanced Android Phone May 31, 2017
- A Tale of Two BlackBerry’s May 31, 2017
- Returning to Blogging May 30, 2017
- Experience Skype to the Max: 2nd Edition March 17, 2015
- BlackBerry Classic–Beyond The Power of the Keyboard Upgraded December 17, 2014
- FREETALK® Everyman USB Headset for Skype: Not “Just Another Headset”! August 14, 2009
- Coming “Real Soon Now”: Skype for iPhone over 3G February 3, 2010
- Skype’s SILK Codec: Working Towards Adoption as a Standard March 11, 2010
- SILK: Skype’s New Audio Codec Sets New Performance Standards for Voice Conversations February 3, 2009
- Skype Everywhere: Nokia and Skype Announce Ongoing Partnership February 17, 2009
- RIM: A Phoenix Emerging from its Ashes | 2 Sides 2 Everything: [...] Courtney writing on his blog (https://voiceo...
- RIM 1 of likely companies to fold next year - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com: [...] however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth. ...
- “Skype Has Stopped Working”: Another Service Interruption | Voice on the Web: [...] Skype Login Disruption Update: User Friendly...
- Skype With Your Doctor: Risk vs. Reward —C3Social Social Media Consulting Milwaukee & Chicago C3Social: [...] Even with a signed disclaimer for treatment,...
- Whither Skype Extras Today? Withered? | Voice on the Web: [...] the Extras publishers were acquired; for ins...
- Conservatives proving they are losers beyond the election. I want my MP to be able to remain healthy. https://t.co/ll0jD4SCe3 08:13:14 AM October 21, 2021 from Twitter for iPad ReplyRetweetFavorite
- ParaOlympics https://t.co/gWBDqIWU8Z 07:54:47 AM October 02, 2021 from Twitter for iPad ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @pederson_cole @Mikeggibbs It’s on Walker’s Line north of 403. 01:09:51 PM August 13, 2021 from Twitter for iPad in reply to pederson_cole ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @EricaEhm: To be clear, I trust science. I am 100% grateful for vaccines. To all those trying to attack me and my beliefs, you’re wast… 11:52:16 PM July 25, 2021 from Twitter for iPad ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @CheriDiNovo: YES July 14: Students should be required to be vaccinated as they always have been for measles etc. The only difference is… 12:19:07 PM July 15, 2021 from Twitter for iPad ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @BogochIsaac: It is now open season for #COVID19 vaccination in Ontario. Everyone 18+ is eligible to book anywhere in the province. Fa… 08:18:45 AM May 18, 2021 from Twitter for iPad ReplyRetweetFavorite
- No Tweets Available